Urethral bulking agents are specialized materials that are injected into the tissues of the urethra to improve urinary continence and urethral closing. West Georgia Urology specializes in the minimally invasive treatment of incontinence in the female and offers a variety of treatment options which include the latest procedures. For patients with low-pressure stress urinary incontinence, urethral bulking agents are an option that can provide excellent results. Not all patients are candidates for urethral bulking agents, and in some cases repeat injections are required.
- Stress Incontinence
In the operating room at the hospital, the patient is sedated or given an anesthetic. A cystosope is used to visualize the urethra and the bladder. The physician then uses a specialized needle to inject the bulking agent into the urethral wall. The area is then inspected very carefully to insure the optimal placement of the material and additional bulking agent material is injected if indicated. The bladder is then drained and the operation is then completed. The patient then will be able to be discharged to go home the same day.
- Easier recovery and return to normal activities
- Efficient and quick outpatient treatment
- May be repeated if necessary
- Minimally invasive treatment for low pressure stress urinary incontinence
- May need to be injected more than once for optimal effect
- Rare transient difficulty voiding or need for temporary bladder catheter
- Occasional dysuria